Lonestar Mets Has Moved, Change your Bookmarks Now!

Friday, February 17, 2006

Keep Shea Mets-ified

If this new Ebbets Field is going to be the Mets new home I would rather just keep Shea. Where is the Ebbits field pressure coming from? What is the obsession with Ebbets field and the new Shea? They tore it down. Deal with it. If the Dodgers are so important to New York the Dodgers should build a new stadium and play there. I don't live in the same city as my team. I moved away. Why don't they model the stadium after my apartment. Let's just change the Mets' name to the Dodgers. Would that make you happy? How about we call it Dodger Stadium? Jackie Robinson never played for the Mets. Why would we name a stadium after him? Where does it end?
I thought I would come up with a radio ad to market our new stadium and game experience in the stadiumduim. As spoken by Vin Scully:
"Come out to Jackie Robinson Stadium in New York City where the Dodgers and Giants used to play and the Yankees still do.
Wear any National League West hat and get in half off a seat in our new outfield box section, Campanella's corner.
Be sure to stop by the newly designed concession stands featuring:
Bomber Beer or Lasorda Lemonade in Martin Mantle and Ruth sizes
Derek Dogs Hotdogs (the hotdogs people think are much better than they really are).
Make sure you visit Memorial Park in center.
Get your picture made next to the statues of Kirk Gibson and Barry Bonds.
In the New York Baseball Leaning center learn about the great Dodger career of Darryl Strawberry and Giant great Gary Carter and the legends from other teams that don'y play in this team's stadium.
Register to win tickets to the June 2nd-4th and September 7th-9th series for Dodger/ Giant Appreciation Night.
That's right come on out to the New Jackie Robinson Stadium, where the rich history isn't ours!"

I don't know. Major League Baseball has never mastered the mysteries of modern marketing so I guess I should expect them to try and appeal to, I don't know...Mets Fans. I am proud to be a Mets fan and I consider any other team inferior and substantially less signifigant. I don't care about Dodger history because I am a Met Fan. I Like giant top hats and large apples. I live in Texas and watch games on TV but Shea feels like home even on TV. Knight hoping on home and Jessie tossing his glove are burned in my mind. In 1999 you could feel the electricity all the way in the Lonestar state when my heart stoped as Dunston made it to second in the 15th;. it started again when Pratt walked. I feel like I was at Shea when Ace hit the best single ever. I'm going to miss Shea when its gone and I think I will be joined by a lot more fans when the novelty of Dodger Memorial Stadium fades away.

5 Comments:

  • I think that the obsession with Ebitts Feild stems from the Wilpons love for the Dodgers. Shea is pretty bad, A new Stadium is needed, I also like the idea of limiting the capacity, brings more intemacy to the game.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:16 PM  

  • I think that the obsession with Ebitts Feild stems from the Wilpons love for the Dodgers. Shea is pretty bad, A new Stadium is needed, I also like the idea of limiting the capacity, brings more intemacy to the game.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:17 PM  

  • Hmmm. Yeah let's separate the link between the Mets and the BROOKLYN Dodgers. Makes sense. Great idea. It's not like the Mets Blue was taken from the Dodgers blue. Or the orange from the Giants. The Mets from the beginning have been a tribute to New York National League baseball. They were a team for fans who lost the Giants and Dodgers to Cali. Wilpon was one of those fans. You should be happy the Mets are owned by someone with that connection. With all the tacky construction in NY these days, you should be grateful the Mets are looking to put some style back into the City. Go check out Philly's new stadium and tell me you don't love it. I challenge you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:38 AM  

  • Good point, This whole revitalization throwback to a team who hasn't played here, honoring a player who never even visited needs to stop. It's happening all over and I think it's ridiculous.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:15 PM  

  • To the First Anonymous said... who stated:
    "You should be happy the Mets are owned by someone with that connection."
    I appreciate your point but counter with the mindset that Wilpon should be happy to have loyal Fans that love the METS after 90, 91, 92, 93, 02, 04 the early 80s, late 70s, and 62-67. I am not trying to say that the Dodgers are irrelivant to New York. By your own statement:
    "It's not like the Mets Blue was taken from the Dodgers blue. Or the orange from the Giants. The Mets from the beginning have been a tribute to New York National League baseball."
    I agree 100% with your point. In fact I submit that you have made my point.
    We already honor NY baseball history. We've done enough for the Dodgers and Giants. Now its time to honor the Mets History.

    By Blogger Talking Head, at 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Counter
Counters
Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!