Lonestar Mets Has Moved, Change your Bookmarks Now!

Friday, February 24, 2006

I Love the Swedes

I’d like to welcome my new visitors. Thanks for taking the time to read my little scribblings. I am having some technical difficulties with my comments section lately. I am trying to make it easier for readers to comment and take part in any ideas or notions that I put forth. I would really like people to state their point of view and make Lonestar Met a place for Mets fans to exchange thoughts and opinons. Please keep reading and commenting.

Props to Cerrone and Greg. The two best in the business.

There will be a long post later today. Sorry for the delay.

Last Night I caught MLB late edition, Channel 175 on XM Radio. Joe called in from Port Saint Lucie and reported the following:

Kaz Matsui hit a homerun off Billy Wagner. Joe noted Wagner is not 100%
Jeez, I hope not. Kaz took Billy Bad Ass deep? Gives me chills. I know it’s still early

Rick Peterson is raving about Bannister’s stuff.
Great, get ready quick Brian, but not Humber quick…

Joe also told the story of a strange occurance when attempting to speak to Pedro one on one.

Apparently Horowitz is physically shielding Pedro from individual reporters. It was also stated the only PR rep in baseball that Gammons publically rips is Horowitz. Referring to Jay as “She.”

As far as Saint. Gammons goes, I don’t think he is the patron saint of baseball as I have heard most make him out to be. I read the guy occasionally and he has some valid points. He has been around awhile and maybe his staying power is what is admired. I think it’s pretty obvious he is a true red dyed in the wool Red Sox homer. When ever I see him on TV talking about any Met, Mets related subjects, or a division the Mets are in, I see a angry old man still experiencing sour grapes over 86.

As Far as Horowitz’s actions, this gives pretty good circumstantial evidence that the toe isn't as bad as previously made out to be. Jay Omar and the Wilpon's may be confident that Pedro will quote the company line but in a private setting he might slip if his competitiveness is challenged. I think this is the organization’s way of backing out of the WBC in a way that:

Most importantly, protects Pedro from losing face. Pedro is a winner and a guy who has never hesitated to speak his mind. I think they sat down with the staff ace and convinced him that the Mets playoff hopes depend on him.

Keeps up the facade that this tournament is important to every one.

No one really cares about the WBC. Ive thought this from the beginning. Overhyped, overblown. Underwhelming. Yes, it’s a shot at the IOC for not keeping baseball an event but honestly how could it compete with the Majors? The Olympics are to boring for baseball. Sure baseball won’t be played in the Summer Olympics but guess what? No one’s watching anyway. (Except foriegners, no offense Linda, I love you!)

If my assumptions are true, then this signals a shift in Organization thinking.
Are they finally not making moves that hinder the teams future?
I’m not ready to declare this team the dynasty of the late ‘oughts but I think the 06 season will be remembered long after the novelty of the WBC wears off.
That is if we can just get rid of Wille…

More to come
(Please wait to blast me about Willie, etc when I get my comments section in order)

1 Comments:

  • Kaz has been known to hit homers very early in the season, so let's not worry too much.

    The players all seem to swear by Jay Horwitz, which may be why his other constituency, the press, doesn't necessarily love him. He's starting his 27th year in the job, remarkable by any count.

    And props right back.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Counter
Counters
Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!