Lonestar Mets Has Moved, Change your Bookmarks Now!

Monday, February 27, 2006

Watcha gonna do?

The return to baseball reminds me of the bloom of winter into spring.
No, no, wait…
The return to baseball reminds me of hope and promise.
That’s not it either…
The return to baseball reminds me of life’s struggle…
Wrong…wait, I got it
The return to baseball reminds me of a re-run COPS

Yes that’s right baseball reminds me of the show COPS.

Think about it...

The start of the season is like a great romance. Everything is new again. Every prospect has got amazing stuff. Veterans thought of as washed up turn back to form. Every manager says the same thing. The Mets have a legitimate claim to the East, Hell the National league. We are gonna clinch in August.

Seems like I’ve been here before…

My Team is perfect every April 1st. We have some rough spots in the early go. We limp into the All-star break. We stick around and they make us feel like they are moments away from turning the corner. How many times were we waiting for that hot streak, that 7 games in a row turning point that never came. Then they completly fall apart on us.

Every august I’ve got a bloody nose and a black-eye standing in my drive way demanding,
“LOCK THEIR ASSES UP!”
Starts to cry, “I’m never gonna put up with this again” sniff “I’m leaving for good this time, you bastards.”

Cut to next spring

Sitting with my newly purchased Jersey for the season. (This year its Wagner #13) and swearing to myself and anyone who will listen:
They said they would change. They’re a good team. They didn’t mean to hurt me. Really it’s my fault. I made them hurt me. Sure they’ve had their problems but they worked them out. Things are gonna be different from now on, they promised…

Who knows maybe the portion of me with battered wife syndrome from every episode of COPS is right.
Maybe Willie has learned the lessons and gained the game situation mentality he seemed to lack. Maybe he can effectively manage a bullpen. Maybe he has realigned his thinking and doesn’t label people into roles. Maybe Willie will try Wright in the 3 hole and 5 hole. Maybe Beltran will see the 2 hole from time to time.

Maybe Kaz has worked like a man on a mission to become the player we all wanted to be when he came to Shea.

Maybe Rickey Henderson doesn’t have a personal vendetta against me and will teach Jose a thing or two about leading off. (I mean, really, did I piss that guy off?)

What if Brian Bannister comes in to be a dominant starter during the season to make an impact?

Maybe Pedro’s got a full tank. Maybe Sanchez, Julio, and Maine are the missing link and will keep the pressure off the rotation.

Pennant? Maybe. It’s fun to think about easy to picture

…and yet strangely familiar.

Don’t take the COPS off the speed dial yet.

Yep, just like a rerun of COPS.

Ah, spring!

"132 and Bush, I’ve got him at gun point"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Counter
Counters
Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!