Lonestar Mets Has Moved, Change your Bookmarks Now!

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Cuban for Comish

Well what I warned of seems to be coming to fruition. Guess what? Glavine the number one, Trachsel number two Hielman three, Zambrano four, Kaz Ishii clone five. I’ve been taking about this since I started this blog. Omar should have forced Beane to the table on a Zito deal, shoulda made a play for Weaver instead of screwing around with the Redsox and Manny and now it’s too late. Yuck! I love our GM but his eccentricity for “his guy” may become a burden. Well Hindsight is 20/20 and all that. It’s time to start looking forward.

Putting on orange and blue tinted glasses

I am not at camp so I don’t really have any insight into what’s going on there, only what I read. A-Hern sounds like he has really stepped it up not counting today. Kaz sounds like the same old Kaz. I really do feel bad for the guy. I was hoping he could turn it around and contribute this year.

Who is Henry Owens? Should I get excited or does he look good because every one is hurt or at the WBC. It looks like the tournament will not be much of an event (surprise!).

But Owens sounds like an interesting player and Bannister might be ready. We might be able to put out a decent rotation before 4/03. This makes me confident in managements change in attitude.

I really think Nady wants the job. I dont care, I like Diaz but if Nady is the guy then so be it- whoever he is he may be holding Lastings spot until late July. I couldn't put it better than Metsradamus:

"Here is what I learned so far this spring:Many Met fans have seen Lastings Milledge play at one point or another. Today was my first opportunity to see him. I saw two balls hit hard, and I saw a hustling diving catch in the ninth inning of a meaningless game.Needless to say, I was impressed.If Milledge is wearing a Red Sox uniform in April (or any other uniform other than a Mets organization uni), I'll find a way to blame Selig for that too. After all, he does have to sign off on the deal, no?"

I know most Mets fans live in the New York, New Jersey or Connecticut area and can give a rats ass about what I’m about to talk about. Ya know what really ticks me off? MLB Extra Innings. What a scam. I purchased it 2 years ago because the commercials make it sound like you get every game- my ass. I don’t know why Major League Baseball somehow benefits from preventing to sell me its product at a premium price. XM radio at least will get you the radio broadcast of all 162 and during playoff time they give you the home and away broadcast. They have a channel that discusses baseball 24/7. No offense to XM Radio, they got me through the off-season, but the NBA can guarantee me every game. The NFL can guarantee me every game. NH freakin’ L can guarantee me every game. Major League baseball can guarantee me televised games on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday games- sometimes- for only 170 bucks.

I listened to an interview on XM Radio on the Opie and Anthony Show with Mark Cuban. God, I wish that man would buy a team or run the League. I know most of the country thinks he is some loudmouth billionaire referee-baiting, Supercuts-training headed lunatic, but the guy understands something that seems to elude Selig and the other owners. WHEN PEOPLE WILL PAY A PREMIUM FOR YOUR PRODUCT, YOU SELL IT TO THEM, DUMMY. I know baseball owners have not been quick to embrace the quandaries of modern marketing, but come on. Any c+ high school economics student could tell you that.

You know what the problem is? They think it is 1955. They think Baseball is the only sport that has a national following. They are wrong. No wonder baseball is losing the popularity of the great national pastime to football.

“Baseball is still America’s national pastime, but football is America’s passion.”- Howie Long.

There are less and less rabid fans out there, not counting my self and my colleagues in the right column of this page. I submit to you that baseball is a far superior sport and the reason the NFL has overtaken it is that Paul Tagliabue understands supply and demand. When there is an unlimited supply of something, (meaning unlimited people can watch any game that they want to watch) utilize that fact and sell it to everyone that wants it. You are taping it anyway.
I will say that baseball should follow Jerry Jones footsteps (I hate the Cowboys by the way so this is a compliment). Jerry has set up through Comcast the cable provider Cowboys on Demand. The Cowboys have there own premium channel that runs 24/7, 7 a week, 52 weeks a year.
So my message to MLB and the Mets in particular is that it is the year 2006. I have Money. Sell me your product. I will pay a premium. Sell me the Mets channel. I will pay whatever. I want to watch spring training games, I want to watch practice. I want a television shows that can inform and entertain me with regard to the Mets 24/7. Most importantly

“SELL ME 162 GAMES.”

2 Comments:

  • I love Mark Cuban as a forward thinking Owner. For the record, I don't believe any teams ownership can compare. Tom Hicks(Texas Rangers owner) doesn't have any clue how to run a ball club. P.S. I am of the opinion that the LONESTAR BALL blog site is the worst bungnuzzling "say the safe thing" site I've ever seen. Glad to see some honesty in a blog. Thanks Dan!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:13 PM  

  • If memory serves the Pirates went crawling to Cuban for a silent financial partner at one time to prevent someone from moving the team. Some time later Cuban showed some intrest in purchasing the Pirates and was told mockingly by the Pirates that "the Pirates are not for sale." I really wish there was a baseball owner like him.
    Lonestar Ball does indeed suck and I don't know one Rangers fan that enjoys it. I really hope a Ranger fan with a keen baseball mind starts their own. They have little competition and I'm sure 1310 The Ticket would provide some pub, Bob and Dan or the Musers. I may start one since the Rangers are my adopted American League team. -Best Ranger Team ever 1996

    Thanks for reading and the feedback. I will try and post more frequently.
    Dan

    By Blogger Talking Head, at 3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Counter
Counters
Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!