Lonestar Mets Has Moved, Change your Bookmarks Now!

Monday, May 08, 2006

Ghost of Kazmir Past

I am going to submit a question to “Ask the Booth” on the SNY broadcast. I figure it will go something like this:

"Keith,
Is there a worse hitter in the league than Jose Valentin? Does he suffer from some physical or mental impairment?
Thanks for snubbing me when I was in New York, all I wanted was an autograph,
Dan in Texas"

Keith:"Well, Dan I’m not the type of guy who thinks a mustached Puerto Rican utility man hitting .179’s place is working at 7-11 but…"

SNY IS EXPERIENCING TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES- PLEASE STAND BY

The Braves series was great. I had planned to write all about it. I found myself unable to write a word after I learned the extent of Zambrano’s injury.

Before the 2006 season started the majority of baseball minded people is the Mets vulnerability was in their starting pitching. Almost every preseason preview/ prediction included the caveat “if the starting pitching remained healthy”

The Bad news: A starting pitcher will miss the remainder of the season.

The Good news: His name isn’t Pedro Martinez, Tom Glavine or Steve Trachsel.

I still believe the season hinges on Pedro and Tommy G’s durability. That said the Mets now need to find a temporary starter and a starter for the rest of the season. Omar has a decision to make. He can go in house and pull a pitcher out of the pen or bring up a minor leaguer, or look for a trading partner that is willing to part with a starter. The former being the cheaper, the latter is a little trickier.

I am in the camp of not touching the bullpen. Omar’s design with the team seems to be built around the pen. Since our starting pitchers are not spring chickens it is a reasonable plan to ask your starters for 6 inings and let the pen go the rest of the way. This explains the presence of an 8 man pen.

Heilman- I don’t think the Mets can afford to move Heilman. I still believe that a team on its second or third trip through will hit him very hard if he is pressed into starting duty. That said a bullpen will be needed to bail him out and that pen would then feature one less quality reliever. I think if Heilman is moved into the rotation and then fails he will never be the same stud he is in the Mets Pen. Be careful what you wish for Aaron.

Darren Oliver- I think Oliver has pitched at the top of his ability this year. He can help from the pen. That’s it. I endured this guy’s run through Texas and it’s no picnic. When I look at him now I still see him in the old red Ranger uniform (those were great by the way) standing their after giving up 4 home runs in the first inning. It seems like he started every game giving up 4 homeruns. Trust me on this, it’s not pretty.

Mike Pelfrey- I am really excited about Mike Pelfrey. I think he will be a cornerstone of the Mets; just not this year. Don’t get me wrong, if he dominates for another month or two he shouldn’t be denied a promotion solely based on age. (That seems to happen a lot around the Mets organization these days.) Other than Pelfrey pitching like the second coming of Doc circa 1985, then Pelfrey will do nothing for the Mets this year except build anticipation.

Alay Soler I don’t know enough about the guy outside of his passport problems. I have never seen him pitch. He looks promising on paper. I will have to defer to the organization on that. Your call Rick, choose wisely.

Now, where things can get interesting- the trading block. I find this issue fascinating and one of my favorite out of game topic. However I feel like the Mets will get screwed. Make one bad trade, the one that got us in this mess to begin with, and everybody comes looking to fleece you.

Barry Zito- Long time readers of my site know that Zito is the guy I want. You can get him for a price. Billy Beene knows the Mets are desperate and will be able get what few chips the Mets have left meaning Milledge or Pelfrey. Let me clarify my postions for you new readers:I love Barry Zito.
I want Zito to be a Met.
Do I think he will be a Met in 2007? Yes
Do I think Omar can get him via free agency in November? Yes
Do I want him sooner rather than later? Yes
Do I want him sooner bad enough to give up Milledge or Pelfrey? Absolutely not!
That said if Omar can get Zito for some combination of Julio, Maine, Keppinger, Matsui* (more on that in a minute) or Diaz I say go for it. He is a true ace any more but I thing Professor Rick can return him to greatness.

Note to Peterson- I don’t care if you are alone in the shower, don’t ever say you can fix him and for god sake don’t put a time frame on it.

Anyway, if Zito is attainable for anyone other than Milledge or Pelfrey, he is the best option. The trade looks more attractive if Beene can resign Zito before the trade. It still make me uneasy to send Milledge now. Patience, patience, patience. We have waited for Milledge and every indication is that he will be something special. If Milledge for a resigned Zito were to occur it made sense 5 months ago, not now. Hang on the rooks Omar, you are gonna need ‘em.

Clemens- Good Lord no! Shame on any Met fan for even thinking of it. I hate Roger. He is a great pitcher and a first ballot hall of famer. That said, I don’t want this guy anywhere near the organization. I don’t want fatty on our planet. The thought of that overweight dung pile in a Mets hat makes me sick to my stomach. I literally get sick to my stomach, yuck. Omar, if you read this PLEASE DON’T DO IT!

Odalis Perez- This guy is a big risk at 19 million. If this anyway stops the Mets from perusing Zito in the off season I say no. I have seen this guy pitch and he is very underwhelming. At 19 million over the next two years I would try to dump him too. I would think the only trade that makes sense is Matsui (more in a minute, I will get there, ) for Perez. If those of you who have had enough of Kaz and his 8 million dollar salary may want to jump all over this. Ahern is on his way back and can fill the slot. Maybe, it would make room for an Ahern Keppinger platoon. If Keppinger ever gets a fair shake I will be surprised. If a Kaz for Odalis trade does happen it would only cost the Mets 11 million for two years, which is a reasonable amount for Perez. Personally I would really like to see Kaz succeed with the Mets, but this is an urgent need that needs to be filled pretty soon. Kaz for Perez straight up? Done.

Other than that, the pickins are a-mighty slim out there. I think the Mets need to weather this storm until Bannister can come back. Throw someone out there that can pitch for two months and keep a rotation spot until Pelfrey is ready. I would also ask that the Mets start him in a day game on the road. What I think will most likely happen is the Mets move Kaz for Odalis Perez straight up and give Oliver the next Zambrano start or two until Bannister is ready. The pen stays as is with the exception Oliver. It's not sexy but with that blueprint, the big bats need to pull their weight.

That was my two sense

On to Kaz, I know everybody in the New York media have written preachy condescending columns taking Met fans to task on the Matsui and Zambrano situations. Write all you want, it doesn’t change a damn thing. In New York the fans are hypercritical; especially when it comes to non-home grown, high paid, over hyped players. That’s the fact, Jack. Don’t like it? Move to Kansas City, Atlanta or maybe Arlington*. They don’t take it so seriously, there. Lonestar Met does not look down on passionate fans that want to win because he is one of them.

I know, you don’t have to email me. I am not condescending but sometimes speak in the third person, cut me some slack- its not like you are paying for this site. By the way, visit a sponsor -come on.

Enough of that.

I am glad to see Kaz do well. He doesn’t play with that look of a newly born foal anymore. He looks confident, comfortable right now. If this is just an aberration then trade him away for what ever you can get. I like Kaz as a person. He does seem to care and does want to succeed in New York. Or he just wants to stop being booed. Whatever. The point is, if his psyche is so delicate that boos put him on a two year slump maybe it would be better for everyone if he went somewhere else. Personally I never gave that “booing just makes it worse” argument. I don’t think a professional athlete can be rattled by what the fans do.

It reminds me of the Simpson’s softball episode where Bart is calling out “DAAARRRYYYLLLL DAAAARRRRYYYYLLL to Strawberry. Bart explains to Marge that they are professional athletes while Straw cries in the outfield.

Finally, Is there not one left handed bat that can be obtained that can hit better than .179? Is Olerud available? Maybe Ventura? They are both retired but I think they could hit at least .220.

(*More on that on another post- I was in attendance for the last two games of Ranger-Yankees and had some fun at Yankee fan’s expense. I have pictures look for it in the near future).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Counter
Counters
Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!