Lonestar Mets Has Moved, Change your Bookmarks Now!

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Lonestar Met in the Big City


Well good readers I have made my pilgrimage to the baseball Mecca know as New York City. I have to say that after a 21 year absence from the big Shea it seemed like a new experience.

First off, shame on everyone, especially those who sent me scathing emails regarding my fondness for Shea stadium, who has labeled Shea a dilapidated hole that was not worthy of baseball.



Shea Stadium is a marvelous place. Shea Stadium is not in as bad shape as some would have you believe. The orange seats facing odd directions are not as uncomfortable as some would have you believe, nor is the plumbing in sad shape.

Shea Stadium is a wonderful stadium and although few will admit, will be missed in 2009.

The biggest complaint I have about Shea is that god awful Our Team, Our Time song. It hurts my ears and is obnoxious. I hope the team ditches the song and let an existing song be naturally adopted ala L.A. Woman.

I liked The Teamwork to Make the Dream Work song from 86. But my opinion of sports rap songs is the same as my opinion of Tom Cruise;

It was really cool in 1986 but now a huge embarrassment that no one can relate to.

The Diamond club has two of the greatest things I have ever seen


And also one of the most puzzling:



If anyone has any idea why this is next to the World Series trophies please feel free to pipe up in the comment section.


There was also a bust of my hero:

Thanks to my better half for the Tickets to Gotham, and thanks to my brother, Mikey, my brother for the passes to the Diamond Club.

The best thing about Shea Stadium is the atmosphere. Not only is everyone knowledgable; everyone is passionate. One of the best baseball experiences in my life was Pedro’s 200th win. The pinacle of the game was Metallica cranking up and Wagner pitching the 9th. Shea is a fantastic place for baseball and I will be visiting again soon.

Thanks for the memories New York, the Big Apple is baseball at its finest.

2 Comments:

  • Couldn't tell you about the dog. I thought you were going to wonder aloud as to why smoking in the technical outdoors is a no-no to the NYC cop you encountered while Mr. Experienced Commuter couldn't make his Metrocard work. I think it was because you were technically in a Subway station, even if it wasn't enclosed. We're very civilized about that nasty little habit here. Not much else, but very tough on smoking.

    Glad you're planning a return trip. Saves me the trouble of a "y'all come back now, y'heah?"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:28 AM  

  • Awesome, awesome post! And I am green with envy. My last trip to Shea was in 1991 (though I visited in 1997 when it was closed and they opened a gift shop for me)

    Glad to hear you had a great time at Shea!

    By Blogger Mets Guy in Michigan, at 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Counter
Counters
Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!