Lonestar Mets Has Moved, Change your Bookmarks Now!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

My Pal Al

I wasn’t going to write anything about the retirement of Leiter’s retirement. I usually have a rule not to “Eulogize” anyone until they have been gone for a year. My collegues have been pretty hard on Al. Both Greg and Metstradamus have are great reads as always. Metstradamus never disappoints in his rants.

“Mets network. If I want to be lied to, I'll subpoena Rafael Palmeiro.”

Great line. I wish I would have thought of that first.

Back to my pal Al. Yeah Al’s act got a little old at the end. Yeah Al seemed to have a role as Player/GM. Yeah Al finished as a Yankee. And yeah, he may have lobbied to keep Delgado out of New York last year. As Greg put it:

“…we liked Al, really liked Al even if we (or least I) never quite loved him”

But what about October of 1999 when all pitched a gem to send us on to Arizona? Not that he was Seaver or Kooseman. I think a lot of us are a little annoyed by Al’s antics toward the end but he is one of the great Met pitchers of the late 90’s.

Lonestar Met would like to say. “So long Al and thanks for the memories”

Moving on, I was horrified to read this.

Great Wagner is broken too? The Noble does include:
Wagner said that he had never experienced the problem, but he did have similar symptoms with the Phillies in 2004, when he missed relatively little time.
"I'm sure if this were the regular season, they could create some kind of concoction to let me throw."
Not catastrophic but the one guy without a question mark in the pen with problems in his throwing appendage is never comforting.

Cerrone has all kinds of rumors floating around about trading for Soriano. I don’t think I’m going too far out on a limb to say that this would be horrendous. I’ve never been a Soriano fan but neither Nady, Diaz or Heilman do not match value for a deranged second baseman with inflated numbers and a hole in his glove.

I did have an idea for a trade that may be fair and not enrage Mets fans.

Offer Matsui for Soriano even up.

We should get to screw someone via trade every once in a while.

Besides, I'm sure Kaz will try leftfield...

2 Comments:

  • I always liked Al. I didn't like him as Yankee. It didn't make much sense to me at all. In fact, he hasn't made much sense to me for the last three years, but I like Al.

    By Blogger something, at 9:40 PM  

  • Al's two-hit gem over the Reds was vital, no question. Yet I tend to gloss over it in the '99 oeuvre, given his utterly useless 0 IP 5 ER performance against ATL two weeks later. I also resent that the Mets put it up there as a Greatest Moment candidate and ignored the lipbiter the day before, the 2-1 win over the Pirates (Mora scores on Clontz's wild pitch while Piazza stands dumbfounded). If we lose to the Reds, well that's awful, but if we don't beat the Pirates, there's no Reds game and the whole season is a cruel joke. Given the stakes and from where the Mets had come, the Mora run looms larger in memory than the Leiter gem. And even then, we scored 5 runs. (We came within one Dmitri Young line drive -- caught by Fonzie for the last out -- of it being 5-2 and having Armando come in with two on base...but it didn't happen, so never mind.)

    I'm nitpicky on Leiter probably because I also felt, even before the bitter end, that Al was favored a bit too much by management. I was a very big Rick Reed fan and thought Reeder was overlooked in lieu of Leiter. You could feel the envy from Al in '01 when he was on the DL and Rick pitched to All-Star caliber. "I guess we have a new ace," he nearly snorted. But it kind of brings me back to Al's maddeningly endearing (or endearingly maddening) honesty. Even if he was being a bit unpleasant, he was genuine about it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Counter
Counters
Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!