Lonestar Mets Has Moved, Change your Bookmarks Now!

Monday, March 13, 2006

Tom Glavine’s Metamorphosis

For 3 years I hated Tom Glavine.

I remember when Tom came, I watched him pitch and all I saw was a Brave in a Mets uniform. “Imposter”, I thought, “Go back to Atlanta where you belong.” I felt no sympathy upon hearing the reports that his family was not treated well at Shea. I remember the first outing against his former team when tom got shelled. “Figures,” I thought, “we have to put up with this guy and he can’t beat the Braves.” As the years moved on I was a Glavine hater. I saw him as a Brave cast off and a salary albatross around the club’s neck. Even Last year despite his great performances in the second half Tom was still a Brave in my mind, trying to collect a paycheck and pad his stats for the Hall; just playing out this remaining contract until he could run home to Atlanta. I think in the back of my subconscious mind I may have been hoping he didn’t pitch his inning minimum for his option.

It’s not like I didn’t like the guy as a person. It was just that he had such a friendly standing and great respect for a team that has been tormenting the boys in queens for over a decade. My stance was, “I hate the Braves, I hate every Ex-Brave, I hate every Brave fan, and I hate you Tom Glavine.”

And then today I read this:

Glavine was clearly irritated by what he considered "inappropriate" storytelling by Braves general manager John Schuerholz in his new book "Built To Win."

“Glavine noted Schuerholz never speaks publicly about negotiations and said, "My situation was private and should have remained private."
“Glavine was quoted in Newsday on that Saturday as saying "What have I done?" when he awoke on Friday.”
“Glavine's face stiffened as he responded to questions concerning revelations in the book. Schuerholz wrote that between the time Glavine accepted the Mets' offer -- three years for $35 miillon -- and the time the then-free agent pitcher signed the contract, he not only expressed misgivings to Braves manager Bobby Cox, but also agreed to re-sign with the Braves.
The Braves went so far as to alert TBS about a "major announcement," the book says. It also suggests Glavine's agent, Gregg Clifton, and the players union, of which Glavine was an active and influential member, convinced the pitcher to the keep his word with the Mets.
Glavine had little quarrel with the book's account, but he said Schuerholz "always was tight-lipped about any negotiations -- except mine," noting that the Braves staged a news conference about Glavine's ultimate decision. He couldn't say what effect the revelations would have on his returning to the Braves after this season. The Mets and Clifton have had preliminary discussions.”

And This:

This winter, Glavine said he'd like to continue his pursuit of 300 wins after this season, and that his only two choices would be the Mets or Atlanta. But after Schuerholz's comments in the book, the Braves don't seem a likely destination.As for supposedly telling Cox he made a mistake, and making plans to stay with the Braves, Glavine had no interest in looking back. "I was making sure I was making the right decision," Glavine said."And standing here today, I made the right decision."
My first reaction was anger, “I hate the Braves and now they are trying to alienate our guy”

Wait? Our Guy?


That’s right; starting today Tom is our guy. Not some pitcher we hold shared custody of along with our main division rivalry. He’s finally been crapped on by the Braves like the rest of us.

Tommy’s finally a Met. That’s right Tom, let that resentment grow. Wear it on your sleeve.

Make them your sworn enemy like everybody else. It’s about time.

Congrats, Titan Tom, you’re finally a Met.

Welcome home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Counter
Counters
Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!