Lonestar Mets Has Moved, Change your Bookmarks Now!

Friday, May 19, 2006

Here we go...

So it's that time again, is it? Mets-Yanks for braggin rights.

Before I get into that the rotation status is horrendous. Bannister is not coming back anytime soon. The wait and see game is over. A move needs to be made and soon. The East is very winnable for the Mets and a move needs to be made.

A trade of a a minor prospect for a serviceable starter that has potential? We are in the race and what are the odds our cant miss prospect misses? Make the trade, damn the future, right?

That is what we all thought near the trading deadline way back when in 2004. Kazmir for Zambrano? Done deal.

I don’t know the answer, but I issue the warning: be careful what you wish for.

Don’t get me wrong; Jose Lima has no place on the big league rotation. I know he was stashed in the minors for just this situation; in case disaster strikes. But we are looking at a lot more 3-6 stretches if all stays the same.

I have not seen Soler pitch but I only hope he proves better than Lima Time. It seems to me that the Mets never had much faith in Soler and he has never really been penciled in to future plans. It almost like the team took a flyer on a relatively unknown Cuban defector. If my suspicions are true, fine. Is he really worse than Lima? I can’t see how he could be. My guess would be that if he is not being propped up for trade bait than give him a start. He is not a young guy by prospect standards, time to see what he has in his bag.

*Note: I will never again use the phrase Lima Time from this moment forward.

That said, the absence of a Soler call up leads me to think that the Mets brass is scheming from an undisclosed location as we speak. Cerrone reports that Pelfrey is not near Major League ready, and the nearest possible call up date is the end of July. Who will it be? I haven’t the slightest, and a move at this time of year means that the Mets overpay for what they get. Cerrone also relays a story via the Star-Tribune that Kyle Lohse is now on the radar. Seems like it would be worth a shot if cost effective, but I don’t figure it will be a vast improvement over what we have.

I hate to seem like a knee-jerk reactionist and a hate going on record with this. If a deal is there to bolster the staff in exchange for highly touted, unproven prospects, pull the trigger. I am sure I willget bashed for this, but I say:

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Pedro, Tommy, Cliffy and Wagner aren’t getting any younger. If a run is to be made, it needs to be now. I know it would be nice for all the prospects to be home grown superstars, but would you trade a playoff run or dare I say series for Greg Jeffries, D.J. Dozier, Bill Pulsipher. you just have to live with the morbid hope that Pelfrey of Milledge don't live up to expectations.

I submit to you that answer is yes.

On to tonight’s game.

Lonestar Met will partake of the subway series opener at a public venue at the risk of sharing space with Yankee fans. I can say that the Mavericks try to close out their playoff series with the Spurs so the supposed Yankee fans that inhabit Texas probably have no clue that the Yankees are even playing, much less opening inner-league with the Mets.

I hope I get Kate the rally waitress, therefore insuring a win.

Johnson against Gonzales. Johnson may be done at the ripe old age of 42 and Gonzales figures to be a wild card. He may pitch well or get clobbered.

Paging Dave Mlicki, Mr. Mlicki, white courtesy phone please.

Who knows about any of these games, but at least Pedro and Glavine get their shots against the Yankees.

I know that a lot of my contemporaries disdain interleague play and Met-Yankee weekend, but I love it. It seems larger than a regular season game and it adds a playoff like feel that is rarely seen on May 19, 2006.

Tonight I will patronize a local drinking establishment that features a satellite dish, ignore the Mavericks fans, try to forget pitching woes, and enjoy top notch competition in May. It has no significance to the NL East but an important game to me none the less.

Kate the rally waitress, another round please…

3 Comments:

  • What did you do, use duct tape to stick the rally waitress to your table in the ninth?

    Awesome, awesome way to finish. Wright is a monster.

    I was listing to the post game interview -- I payed the $14.99 to get the MLB package -- and Wright was talking about how he was in a position to win that 1-0 game in St. Louis and blew it, and said he never wanted to feel that way again.

    Lock this kid up to a long-term deal -- and that waitress, too!

    By Blogger Mets Guy in Michigan, at 10:51 PM  

  • This one was done solely with Mets magic with out the help of the lovely Kate.

    I arrived at my local sports bar to find that MLB did not deem the subway series worthy to put on the baseball package.
    Since MLB hasn't mastered the mysteries of modern marketing, I finaly gave in and baught the MLB TV package. It is a good service and instead of commercials so you can hear Metallica and watch Wagner warm up.

    By Blogger Talking Head, at 11:29 PM  

  • When a game isn't on local cable as this one wasn't (Channel 11 for Mets, Channel 9 for Antichrists), it doesn't show up on Extra Innings. Don't know if that extends to satellite options. I'm guessing it does.

    Check quasi-local listings before making the trip to the bar.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Counter
Counters
Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!